Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Review: Paracrona's upcoming (re)release "Sun God"

Norwegian Black Metal band Paracrona are re-releasing their album Sun God on the 12th of April, through Wormholedeath, with whom they recently signed a deal.

The idea was to give the album a new life and to expand it's music to a wider audience.

Well played, Paracrona, well played. Why? Because Sun God is so bloody good.

I haven't heard of Paracrona until February, when I shared the news of them joining forces with Wormholedeath, together with the video for the song Carry the Cross. I also haven't listened to the song again since. But today, when the song came up in the album I immediately recognised it, and additionally, it also gave me the same goosebumps as the first time I've heard it. If this isn't the definition of good music, then I don't know what is.

So, for those who, like me, haven't heard Sun God before, what can you expect?

On the email they come "catalogued" as Black Death Metal music. I must say I disagree a bit on the Death Metal part. Ok, it is melodic, it has amazing solos that usually are more particular of Death Metal music, but I still see it more within the melodic Black Metal realm. It has that specific touch where you can tell it's Norwegian Black Metal, especially on the guitars, even if more melodic a bit. 

When I say melodic, I don't mean ballads (well, Mendacious is sort of the ballad of the album), or only catchy music, or keyboards. You'll be surprised by the aggressiveness they get to too. The track Sun God is a good example of it. Listening to it made me want to see them live right away.

These guys are very interesting musicians, I must say. It is all so technical, also reaching atonal areas that are more and more common nowadays, but still almost uncharted territory. 
There are clean voices too here and there, sometimes unexpected but remarkable. In fact, the intro of the first song New Impurity has some very eerie clean voices. It is overall strange but so good at the same time.

Moving on, Sun God has 9 tracks. All of them very powerful and energetic. There are no dull moments during Sun God. Usually I mention my favourite track when I do a review, but here it is difficult to choose only one. I'll go with Carry the Cross.

The last song Reasons has some oriental vibes, I wasn't expecting that. Good surprise. The clean voices on there are so emotional. Good surprise again. Took me back to some of late 1990s or early 2000s music, for a second.

So, if this is your kind of music, the date is 12th of April, don't forget!








No comments:

Post a Comment