Monday, March 11, 2024

Review: Vøidwomb's debut album "Spiritual Apotheosis"


Three years after the release of their debut EP, Portuguese Black Metal band Vøidwomb will be releasing their first album Spiritual Apotheosis next month, through Avantgarde Music.

It was when I reached track 3 Black Putrescence that I got into Spiritual Apotheosis. That was the song that made me actually think "wow!", and from then on, the sensation was pretty much the same along the remaining songs, although it gets better and better as you go on.

Spiritual Apotheosis has 9 songs, of a very grave and bassy Black Metal music. It is atmospheric, angry, dark. Well, among those 9 songs, there are track 1 Exordium, track 5 Interludium and the last one, Epilogus. Which are slightly different, as their titles suggest. Although still heavy and thick, they are instrumental. Interludium reminds me of a mass or some sort of religious practice. Especially as the beginning of following track, Vesselvoid also has some elements of the kind. But I could be totally wrong.

Although not massively original, their music is very engaging, intense, powerful, and compelling. As I mentioned above, it gets better as it goes, as if they had chosen the songs from less to more impressive. 

My favourite songs from Spiritual Apotheosis are 6 Vesselvoid and 7 Azoth. Very powerful. But, last track Epilogus is the perfect song to close the album. It is instrumental, and still so bloody emotional, it left me fascinated. I heard it over and over quite a few times, because when I like a song a lot, I listen to it until I can't anymore.

So, what else can I add? Vøidwomb are quite experienced, you can tell by the quality and complexity of the compositions. The band is sort of recent, they have been around since 2019, but you can tell they are well versed in Black Metal music. 

So if this is your thing, keep an eye out for Vøidwomb. Spiritual Apotheosis comes out on the 26th of April.







No comments:

Post a Comment