Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Interview with The Magus (GR)

Greetings!
Today, Lachryma Christi brings you an interview with The Magus. Greek musican, mostly known by his work with the band Necromantia. However, The Magus has participated in a number of other bands, also has his own project The Magus (which I thought was a solo project but it is actually a full band). Also, he is one of the most influential artists within the Black Metal industry.
In case you're not aware, The Magus together with Aris Shock, wrote the book The Serpent and the Pentagram: The Official Chronicles of Necromantia, which was released recently.
So let's see what The Magus has to tell about these and other matters.


You just released the book The Serpent and the Pentagram: The Official Chronicles of Necromantia. It has a lot of useful, interesting and sometimes even funny information, about Necromantia and not only. Do you consider that you put out everything you had in mind and everything you wanted to share, or there is more stuff you still would like to have told people?

The book is more or less how life is. With many faces, with many aspects. I was pretty open in most things. The only things I kind of kept for myself are my occult journeys. Detailed experiences in my contact with the metaphysical. These will stay my own.


What is your favourite release of Necromantia, if you have one?

Definitely "Scarlet Evil, Witching Black' and the last one "To the Depths we descend"/ The first one because it was so powerful and complete and so much ahead of it's time. The second one has a deep sentimental value. 


Was it ever an option to continue working on Necromantia after Baron Blood passed away?

No. It would be like blasphemy . The band was alway us two. I would never consider to work without him.




Apart from Necromantia, and please correct me if I'm wrong, you have been part of other projects, such as Yoth Iria and your own The Magus. How is it to concile all of this?

THE MAGUS is my main focus now. It is not my solo project but a full band. Our debut album comes out by THE CIRCLE MUSIC in October entitled "ΒΥΣΣΟΔΟΜΏΝΤΑΣ" (vissodomontas) and I can tell you that it is the most organic, atmospheric and evil natured thing I ever done. About YOTH IRIA we shall see, the band was always Mutilator's offspring not mine.


You are currently working on the debut album of The Magus. Can you tell a bit about it? How is it going? What can we expect from it?

As I said before is like a full mix of all the black metal types I like - from the melodic to the extreme - channeled through a horror spectrum in order to give birth to nightmares. Every detail: music, lyrics, photos cover were locked inside my mind and souls. 


How did the idea of doing a solo project come up?

-It is not a solo project. It is a full band. After the split of NECROMANTIA I realised that I still have a lot of art to deliver. You know like an inner fire that you cannot put out.... So I decided to give it a try and I have not regret it ever since.




You have been very connected and involved with the Black Metal industry, with magazines, labels and others of the kind. What else are you doing on those regards currently, apart from the bands?

Nothing else nowadays. I only make music for my own pleasure and the people who like it.


Being a Black Metal musician, (and not only musican) for so long, how do you see the industry nowadays? 

What I do not like is that everything is fucking digital. I am a retro guy. I like the physical product. I want to hold it, see, it, smell, it, feel it!! Also I am not a fan of social media. I understand that they are necessary for the band but also it is a place where every ignorant, small minded type with inferiority complex etc etc has an opinion on any fucking thing. 


What would you say to people starting their bands and projects now? Any ideas or suggestions?

Try to find your own identity. Stick to what you think best, not the label, not the press. Keep on doing it honestly and you will get there.



If you wish to read the review to the book The Serpent and the Pentagram: The Official Chronicles of Necromantia, you can do so here:




No comments:

Post a Comment