Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Review: Serement's debut EP "Deviation from God"

Greek Blackened Death Metal band Serement released their first EP Deviation from God in November last year, through Theogonia Records.

Deviation from God is a 2 track release, in cassete format. A very pretty green one, for that matter.

It is indeed very good, very fast and angry most of the time. It is definitely a lot more in the realm of Death Metal, but the Black Metal influences are clearly there, especially in the drums and lyrics.

The 2 tracks are very heavy and powerful, with a very gutural and deep voice. Although the band formed recently only, in 2022, even before you check their background you can tell how experienced they are in making music. I wouldn't say that Deviation from God is catchy, but there are many melodic rhythms and riffs which will remain in your ear. I heard it 4 times in a row myself, because only 2 songs with this quality are simply not enough for me. I hope they release a full-length at some point very soon. And mind you, Death Metal isn't very much my cup of tea, so imagine if it was. 

My favourite track might be the first one, Malevolent Mist Over the Mount of the Deceased. It is shorter and a tad more melodic, and the melody might be why I liked it more. However, it is all about the personal taste of each of us.

The second track No Reflection for His Shadow starts with a little bit of the sound of a scene of the film Bram Stoker's Dracula. Which adds a special touch to it and to the theme of the actual song. If you're familiar with the film, you may be able to identify the particular scene immediately. This song is a lot more aggressive and brutal. 

I'm sure many of you will enjoy Deviation from God as much as I do.





No comments:

Post a Comment