Saturday, March 4, 2023

Interview with Grievance (PT)




So, two years later, Lachryma Christi interviewed Koraxid from Grievance again. As you may remember, Grievance is a one-man band which started many moons ago (and it wasn't always a one-man band), but only started playing live in these last few years. 
Two years since the last interview, doesn't sound like a long time, but thingsevolved for Koraxid and for Grievance too. So let's read the interesting stuff Koraxid told Lachryma Christi this time.



The first time we spoke, in 2021, we were in the middle of the pandemic, and the respective restrictions. It was neither possible nor advisable to hold concerts, everything was on stand by. Gradually, things were returning to normal.
How is it going for Grievance, this return to a greater activity, in terms of concerts and the like?

For Grievance, live appearances are always a pleasure. This year I intend to make some, but at this moment the live formation is above all focused on improving performance in all aspects, "smoothing out rough edges" technically and scenically, so that the performances are increasingly engaging and well performed. As a result of which there is a waiting period until everything is improved, so I do not intend to schedule many dates this year. Although there have already been some invitations, I still cannot reveal which ones they are and which ones are already settled.



Some bands performed online concerts during the toughest periods of the pandemic. Was that ever a possibility for Grievance?

It would have to be something special, filmed with several cameras and in a suitable setting, which would involve various technical means that were not available at the time. That being said, I decided not to. However, live rehearsals have been broadcast sporadically at Axe Farm Studios live via the Instagram account, which have had good reactions. Some were also made during the pandemic.



Also previously, you had mentioned that you were composing themes for a split, but still without disclosing names and dates. That split has now already been released: "Unspeakable Acts & Occult Encryptions", with the band Thy Black Blood. Which, by the way, was one of the top ten works of 2022, for Lachryma Christi Webzine.
How did the idea for this split come about? How has the reception been?

When the pandemic started there was availability for me to try to compose a new album for Grievance. I recorded several drum tracks to create a basis to compose a new album, but in reality I was uninspired and the result left me below expectations, so about out of two hours of drums improvisations I selected the best parts and ended up with about 25 minutes of music. At that point and after composing almost all the guitar lines I decided to put all these recordings on stand-by, since I had no material for an album. Curiously, at that time I was invited by D. Sabaoth to do a split with the band Thy Black Blood. I remembered these tracks and decided to accept the challenge, completing them and rewriting some parts that I liked less in them, hence this split, which was finished already with this release in view. There was an excellent reception for it without a doubt and it is a release that makes me proud for the final quality of the themes of Grievance, as well as the part of Thy Black Blood. For me it was a winning bet and the use of these tracks ended up resulting in compositions that I consider to be some of the best I've made for the band.



Grievance's latest album, "Nos Olhos da Coruja", was released in 2020. Here and there (aka social media), you can see that Grievance is always moving and evolving. When is a new album due?

I'm currently contributing with a track to the War Productions anniversary compilation, which will be out very soon, and I'm also finishing a new track that will accompany a retrospective album of the band with the two demos (never released on CD) and several rare tracks that were never released. These tracks span the entire career of the band, from the first album to the most recent. This rarities album is expected to come out in 2023. Only then will I focus on creating a new album for Grievance, which will probably only come out in 2024.



How do you see the role of the internet and social networks in your music? Do you think it provides greater openness towards promotion? Or taking into account streaming platforms, often free to use, does it get in the way a little?

I see the internet as an excellent vehicle to promote my music. I think we can only gain from this means, as it is a source of knowledge and dissemination that reaches many more people around the world. The rest depends on the people and the way they use this tool. It's in your hands to use it well or not.




You also play with Corpus Christii as a live session musician. Even with tours happening very soon. What's it like reconciling all of that, with the Grievance routines, in terms of rehearsals and all that?

With good will, anything can be done. Of course when it comes to touring I have to dedicate myself more to Corpus Christii, but above all I remain focused on Grievance. It has been an amazing experience reconciling both activities but so far I have managed, and it has also been very invigorating to share the stage with excellent musicians such as Corpus Christii's live line-up. Things have been going well, so from my part it is to continue.



And when can we expect new shows from Grievance?

In 2023 there will be live appearances for sure, I can't divulge details yet, but soon they will be announced through the band's social networks.



The other time we talked about the theme of your lyrics. This time, I ask you about the inspiration for the songs. Since Grievance is a band with such a different and original sound, sometimes including instruments not usual in Black Metal, where do you find inspiration for Grievance's compositions?

I'm a person with a very eclectic musical taste, I don't just listen to this style but a wide range of other styles, whether within the Metal area or in other areas, perhaps hence the unique sound of my compositions. I look for inspiration in Portugal, its customs, its legends and its landscapes, I let myself be influenced by the environment in which I grew up. The rest is obviously influenced by all the types of music that I listen to and have been listening to since my adolescence.



Your primary instrument is the drums, but you play a multitude of other instruments. How does that happen? How did you get there in terms of interest and learning?


I started learning drums in 1995, and I was the "typical" drummer for about 10 years, where I participated in several bands and projects. From 2006 I also started playing guitar in some bands and even playing live with one of them, which gave me a lot of experience. Later in 2011 I was invited as a bass player and an effective member of Flagellum Dei, and then I had to improve my skills even more, since it is a more demanding band at a technical level. At the same time I had studio projects and I took on Grievance solo in the same year. Things evolved naturally and slowly until I became the musician I am today, but there is still a lot to learn and develop. My goal is to keep improving all my techniques and creating better and better music.



Being in the Black Metal industry for so long, how did your desire to play and compose Black Metal come about?

It was a direct result of my passion for this style of music that pushed me to make my own music. Learning was, as I said above, a slow and laborious process, but rewarding in every way, which is why I still keep practicing this style. so many years later, with the same will and dedication that I always had.




I haven't asked this in an interview for several years, so I'm going to ask you. Do you read? If so, what are you currently reading?

I like to read but I don't have much time to do so. At the moment, I have several readings on the waiting list, especially the book “Pelos Caminhos Assombrados De Portugal”, by Vanessa Fidalgo. I like history and occult books, especially related to the Iberian Peninsula.



We are still at the beginning of 2023. How do you evaluate 2022, in terms of the opportunities that Grievance was provided with, both to play live and to share your work?

It was a fruitful year, especially due to the release of the split with Thy Black Blood, and the appearance of the band in Barroselas, something I had been looking forward to for a long time. This concert remains the best of 2022, in my opinion, both for the performance and for the place itself .



And for Black Metal in general?

In general, there were many quality releases and concerts as well. In my opinion Black Metal is in very good health, and it is recommended!



What can we expect from Grievance for 2023?

As I said above, I contributed with a track to the War Productions anniversary compilation, which will be out very soon. I'm finishing a new track that will accompany a retrospective album of the band with the two demos (never released on CD), and several rare tracks that were never released. These tracks cover the band's entire career, from the first album to the most recent. This rarities album is expected to come out in 2023, in addition to some live dates, yet to be revealed.



Koraxid, thanks again for the opportunity. Our paths will certainly cross out there. But until then, do you have anything to add that I didn't think of asking today?

I want to thank the support that the zine has given to the band, this is always greatly appreciated. I wish you good luck with your work, and I also take this opportunity to thank you for the support of all the other media, promoters and the public who have always been excellent in their reactions to our concerts, long live Portuguese Black Metal!



(All the photos were sent to Lachryma Christi by Grievance)


Read more and listen to Grievance's music here:

No comments:

Post a Comment