Friday, January 13, 2023

Review: Superterrestrial 's upcoming album " The Fathomless Decay"

Superterrestrial are releasing a new album called The Fathomless Decay on the 27th of January.

For those who don't know, Superterrestrial, as the name implies, play a sort of traditional Black Metal, with some ethereal atmosphere music, as in soundscapes. When I say traditional Black Metal, I don't mean the rawness, but the speedy as well as the slow moments, the voice, the riffs and melodies, the aggressiveness, and everything else. And I mean all of it in a good way. They know how to make good music, for sure. It is even a bit technical at times.

A couple of days ago or so, Lachryma Christi shared a link where we can listen to one of the tracks of the album, Transient Lunar Phenomenon. I liked it very much indeed. I heard it like 5 times on a row. Because I'm one of those people who can listen to a song multiple times on a loop, if it is a very good one. And, although I'm not usually a big fan of those space sounds in this kind of music (or any kind of music for that matter), I have to tell you that Superterrestrial know how to use those sounds in their music without being too much, and at the same time making those sounds noticeable enough to make their music original, and actually very good. 

The full album only arrived to my inbox after sharing that link, and I became quite curious to see how the rest of the tracks are. And the whole album is just fabulous. At each song coming up, the thought immediately popping in my head was and is "this is so good!".

It's different, not too aggressive, melodic enough, soundtrack material at times, in a good way, not over the top. The keyboards/synth aren't always present, or at least they're not very obvious all the time, but when they are, it makes all the sense in the world. Great atmosphere. And although the music is not exactly catchy, the songs stay in your head. It's not the kind of album you hear and when you go listen a second time, you don't remember most things. It's actually the opposite. It becomes familiar easily and it brings you the same pleasure still every time you listen to it.

There's nothing I can say I didn't like in this album.

My favourite track might be Planetesimal. It is almost sentimental, if that makes sense. Beautiful riffs, on slow parts and on speedy parts. Very intense song.
 
The Fathomless Decay is so good, I believe many people will regret missing it.




No comments:

Post a Comment