Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Review: Split Malauriu / Lykten

Recently, Lachryma Christi was contacted by the band Malauriu, about their new split with Lykten.
This split came out last month, but only today I managed to actually have the time to dedicate to listen to it. Better late than never, and I am actually quite pleased that I finally managed to do so, because it is actually quite good.

For those who don't know, both bands are from Italy. Malauriu have been around for  some time, and they have quite a discography. Lykten is a one man band, a more recent project, but the high quality of their music makes you think otherwise.
Both bands play a traditional, raw Black Metal, with some thrash influences.

About the split, it has 6 tracks, 3 from each band. It is the perfect match, if we can put it that way. Both bands play the same style, so the atmosphere remains during the whole release, without getting boring.

I confess that I didn't know either of the bands before I got the split on the email, and I am actually very happy that it was sent to me, because both bands are very brutal.
It is very interesting that the intro of the split is by Malauriu, but the split also has a closing track, by Lykten. Not only the music on the split is absolutely powerful, strong, fast, angry, energetic and inspiring, as the whole release is strategically well put together. I love everything about it.

Not here to compare the bands, they are both amazing. 
Malauriu bring very raw vibes, with a mix of thrash metal and also amazing frantic solos. The track Goat Metal starts with an impressive clean high pitched scream, as I haven't heard in a long time. Apart from that, their music is very steady, furious, it really feels like a blast from the past. 
As for Lykten, they might be less raw but just as fast and heavy. Maybe a bit more melodic at times, balancing the whole thing. They are, however, just as stable and magnificent. 
So, if you are into raw traditional Black Metal music, with a hint of thrash, this split is for you. I strongly recommend it!




No comments:

Post a Comment