Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Review: Hulder's recent album "Verses in Oath"

Only recently I've heard about Hulder, and I was curious about the project. So it was quite a surprise, when this morning the album Verses in Oath landed in my inbox.

A pleasant suprise, I must say, as Hulder is actually right up my street. 

For those who don't know, Hulder is a one woman band, originally from Belgium, and currently based in the USA.

The album Verses in Oath came up recently, on the 9th, through 20 Buck Spin.

So what is Verses in Oath like? It's like very good, indeed. It is very potent, dark, with the perfect mix of raw and melodic music, sometimes almost touching the symphonic. Symphonic isn't very much my thing, when it is all just about that. Here that is not the case, thankfully. It is perfectly balanced. 
More traditional than not, as well. The voice is on point too, and mind you I'm quite picky with voices in Black Metal music. 
There are calmer songs and bits with clean voices, which add a whole atmosphere and feel to the album. Also, three tracks aren't Black Metal, but more ambience sounds that help with that too. Not going to spoil it for you though.

You can tell that this woman is very well versed in what she is doing, there is a lot of competence, dedication, professionalism, and experience.

I'm pleasantly surprised, and Verses in Oath is going straight to my top ten releases of 2024. I don't have any doubt this will be one of the best albums I'll listen to during this year.

So, if you like proper Black Metal music with angry and furious melodies, blast beats combined with calmer passages, keyboards when necessary (for this type of music, that is) atmosphere, melancholy and a great deal of passion for Black Metal, you'll enjou Hulder and Verses in Oath as much as I'm enjoying. 

I'm sure I'll listen to this album many more times, and will also listen to her previous works too, as I have a feeling I've been missing out on some very good stuff.





No comments:

Post a Comment