Friday, February 9, 2024

Review: Urbain's debut album "A Soul Purged"

This is the perfect example of "better late than never", although I deeply regret that only now I'm listening to this album. I wish I had included it on the top 10 releases of last year.

Urbain contacted Lachryma Christi last year, but I was taking a hiatus, so I didn't see it. Who are Urbain? Urbain are a band from the USA, who play a very intricate progressive Black Metal. Or as the band themselves say, urban Black Metal.

They released their debut album A Soul Purged last year in July, through Hypnotic Dirge Records.

A Soul Purged is made of pure talent. 

Mind you, I prefer simpler music. This is not the music I listen to on a daily basis (or now it might become a part of it, who knows?). But these guys are extremely talented, professional, passionate. It's all so intense and different. 
The first track left me teary even, so many bloody emotions. Even if this isn't your kind of music, I'm sure you'll feel amazed by the quality of Urbain's work, the same way I do.

There are 9 tracks. The first one starts with a piano, a bit of a very emotional and profound intro, opening ways for the awesomeness I was really not expecting. 

They know how to integrate clean voices and gutural low and high pitched voices with mastery. It is not boring. Sometimes when I tell people about clean voices, automatically people think it's boring. With Urbain, I'm sure there is no space to feel bored. Nothing is boring here. 
With Urbain, prepare your emotions, prepare your mind, because their music touches places I didn't think were touchable. What a journey!

My favourite track might actually be the first one Perception. But the whole album is brilliant, intense, deep, powerful. The production is fantastic as well. No detail goes unnoticed in there.

Urbain explore in depth what we usually think was already explored enough in this kind of music. There are some really good bands who play progressive Black Metal, but Urbain blew my mind. Their music is extraordinarily full, it is rich, sharp, it is majestic. 

I'd like to see them live.

You won't find the raw traditional stuff here, but you'll find amazingly performed Black Metal music, sometimes almost touching the orchestral music, other times touching the experimental. Sometimes very melodic and very instrumental. But never lacking the fastness and the anger, never lacking the suffered and desperate voice. Never lacking the dedication nor the characteristic atmosphere and feel, which in the end of the day, are the most important things for a Black Metal fan.











No comments:

Post a Comment