Friday, February 9, 2024

Review: Grievance (PT) @ Spacy Club, C. Rainha (PT), 19/01/2024 plus show announcement for TOMORROW (09/02)

I wasn't supposed to review this gig, because I actually didn't go there. I was supposed to go, but had a last minute change of plans. However, they streamed it live, and today I watched it. So, I was thinking, if I reviewed Cradle of Filth live stream during COVID isolation, why not reviewing this one too? 

So this show was supposed to be with another band, a Doom Metal band called Lord of Confusion, but due to health reasons they were forced to cancel, sadly. It ended up being a one band gig, Grievance.




I've seen Grievance live a few times, and apparently I missed a hell of a gig this time. For those who don't know, Grievance is a one man band, with a lineup that plays the live shows. Grievance play a sort of traditional, more melodic than not Black Metal, with pagan elements. It's right up my alley.

The first time I saw them live, I thought they were heavily influenced by Nordic Black Metal music and also looks (if you read that review - 2019 I think - you'll remember my description of their corpse paint). Haven't listened to them or seen them live in a few months, and my impression now was exactly the same. When the solo of the first track came up, my mind went straight up to Bathory, as much as I hate comparing bands. It's funny, that I don't get that impression when I listen to their albums though, it's only when I see them live.




However, although influenced by this or that band (because, let's be honest, we all are influenced by something), Grievance has that original bit that stands out. The songs stay in your mind, the riffs are different, there is a repetition and a persistence that is almost hypnotic, the lyrics are different, and it's that originality that makes their shows different too, and makes you go home wanting more.

Either way, I had been told by someone who was in the public that the show was magnificent, intimate, and bloody hell, who told me this was very right. They played quite a long set. There was a very mystical environment, almost ritualistic. The dedication was full, both from the band and the public. There was definitely a great connection.




I forgot to mention when I spoke of the looks, that this time Koraxid was carrying a sword in his belt. I thought it was going to be only a part of the outfit, but at some point he actually exhibited the sword, in a way that was almost ceremonial. That added some more mysticism and atmosphere to the show. It was not just another Black Metal show.

They played some of my favourites, as I mentioned above it was a long set, entertaining, interesting, pleasing. Great show. If I'm satisfied? No, I would be satisfied if I actually had been there. 




The photos are ridiculous, because they are prints of the Instagram stream. I like rough photos though. But, if you check their page, you'll see great photos. And also you can watch the show there too!

So if this review inspires you, and if you are in Portugal, you can always go see them live TOMORROW, the 9th of February in Almada, with Gandvr. Please check flyer below. I don't guarantee swords will be present this time, but I guarantee they'll put on a good show.











No comments:

Post a Comment