Sunday, February 11, 2024

Review: Opvs Noctvrne's EP

So, a couple of days ago, I was telling a friend how a certain social network is basically useless, when Opvs Noctvrne contacted me, saying they found Lachryma Christi precisely on that platform. Not a useless one after all, it seems!

Opvs Noctvrne released their self titled EP last December.

Who are Opvs Noctvrne? Opvs Noctvrne are actually a duo from Poland, who play a very interesting progressive Black Metal. To be honest, I wouldn't call it progressive. It is different, very heavy, definitely has a lot of influences of other styles, but I still wouldn't call it progressive. It is very melodic, but what stands out more to me, is a huge Thrash Metal influence, specially on the second track of the EP "Half-Life". 

If I like it? I like it. It is varied, strong, potent, enticing.
It has clean voices as well as extremely grave voices in the gutural bits. Which mixes quite well with everything else, and is still different from other bands. 
And I already mentioned before, but will mention again, that although very heavy, their music is very melodic. Groovy sometimes, with pleasant beats, and when you least expect, here it comes, Black Metal in all its glory. I just wish there was more of it, or that those bits lasted longer.

Also, usually in the more traditional Black Metal music, everything is very high pitched, shrill even. And these guys are the exact opposite, grave and low. Bassy and deep. It's quite different.

I have a favourite track, which is the third one Frozen. It's fantastic, obscure riffs, powerful voice, heaviness, fastness. I've listened to the EP three times on a row, and that's definitely my favourite song.

So, if you like Black Metal music that is more slow paced, more heavy and dragged, more melodic and thrashy at the same time, Opvs Noctvrne might be your thing, check them out! If it's not your thing, I suggest you check them out anyway, you might get surprised.













No comments:

Post a Comment