Friday, February 9, 2024

Review: Liminalanimal's latest album "The Furies and Futility"

So recently I got this album in my inbox, and after listening to it a couple of times here I am, writing a few lines about it. 

Liminalanimal is a one man band from Scotland. Last December he released the second full length of the band. The release is called The Furies and Futility, and it has 7 tracks, of quite an experimental Blackened Doom Metal. 

What can I tell you about it? I can tell it is a bit strange at first, but the more you listen, the more you want to listen to it. The more curious you feel about what will the next track sound like. It's strange and at the same time so familiar, for some reason.

I'm fascinated, I must say. I love Black Metal and I like Doom Metal, and there are some bands who do this mix, but Liminalanimal is different from any other band I've heard of the kind. It's groovy even at times. And that's where the experimental bit comes in.

There is definitely a very intense Doom element, it's dominant. But as you keep going, it gets into Black Metal without you even noticing. When you realise, you're there. There is no shock, there is no "oh shit what was that?", it is all very well put together, everything fits together. This is a very well conceived, composed and performed album. 

It brings you some nostalgia feeling, some melancholy, some sadness even, I must add. But the melodies are so beautiful, the solos are so full of feel, I'm very impressed.

My favourite track is number 4 The Furies (Part One). It's proper melodic and yet fast and aggressive Black Metal music. Not only, but mostly.

The voice is very different too, it's not the growling we're used to, it's more sung than growled but with its fair share of distortion and noise even. Subtle and yet filling, very dragged and dragging too. It's great. It's original.

So if you want to listen to something a bit different, full of peculiar ideas, and if you're a fan of Doom Metal or Black Metal or even better, both, The Furies and Futility is for you.






No comments:

Post a Comment