Monday, February 12, 2024

Review: Forest of Insomnia's EP "Black Gaia"

Italian band Forest of Insomnia released a EP called Black Gaia last December.
It is quite entertaining, I must say. It is varied, I can't even place an influence, because it is actually that interestingly original. I can tell the riffs are maybe 90s oriented.

Black Gaia has 6 tracks of some Blackened Doom Metal, but it's quite a good mix, as there's enough of both, and there's still some space for some heavy metal style music too.

Catchy riffs, gripping rhythms and beats, very dragged voice. It includes a Intro, an Interlude and a Outro, that are three accoustic guitar compositions, which add the perfect touch to the release.

I like the technicality too, these guys know very well what they are doing. I also like the fact that the songs are not massively melancholic, just enough to keep the feeling, but it is actually uplifting. 
I was preparing myself for a dose of huge sadness and nostalgia, but then when I started listening to the songs, I was pleasantly surprised, by how different it actually is. It's refreshing. I like sad music, but it's good to listen to something actually different, within the same style.

My favourite song is track 2 Nightscape. It's a perfect blend of Doom, Black and Heavy Metal. 

So, if you're looking for something along the lines of Doom Black Metal, or Atmospheric Black Metal, with some catchy riffs and upbeat rhythms (I know, it sounds contradictory because of the Doom, but once you listen to the EP, you'll know what I'm talking about), Black Gaia might be for you. 







No comments:

Post a Comment