Monday, December 19, 2022

Review: O Cerco da Noite Fest II, 18/12, RCA (LX, PT)

 

Yesterday, Lachryma Christi went to see a very special Black Metal show, with only Portuguese bands: Corpus Christii, IRAE, Law of Contagion and Ventr.
I only knew Corpus Christii and IRAE, but I am very happy that I had the chance to see and hear Law of Contagion and Ventr too.
Usually, when I don't know a band, I try and listen to it at home before the show, but this time I didn't, so didn't know quite what to expect, apart from the hints from their logos, which are suggestive per se.

As for Ventr, it is difficult to find information about them online. However, it was a fantastic show. They had candles on stage, black candles. Some on the floor, others in candelabra. They had the traditional corpse paint and the vocalist also had spikes. The music is a very raw proper old school, fast and aggressive Black Metal. With a less high pitched voice than most bands of the kind. They were all very committed and the public was very enthusiastic about them. The room was already very composed from the beginning, which was joyful to see. 
As I arrived home, I went to check on more info about them, and they have an EP from 2020, called Numinous Negativity, which I already heard as well, and it is really good. I am curious to hear more of their work, and maybe see them live again, in the future.




Moving on to Law of Contagion. A bit different, more like a Blackened Death Metal, or a Deathened Black Metal, if such a thing exists. 
From what I could check afterwards, it is a one man band (the vocalist/guitarist) as in studio, but with session musicians for live performances. 
It was a less raw show, but as impressive. Their music is a lot more technical. Lots of skulls on stage, no spikes. It was a big surprise for me. Very professional and experienced musicians. And although their music is a bit out of my personal taste, I really appreciated the show and would see them live again without hesitation.




As for IRAE, it is also a one man project, with session musicians to play live. Vulturius makes a very interesting Black Metal, and has already released a ton of work. IRAE'S style is unmistakeable. With those Black 'n' Roll influences and unique screams here and there. Live is exactly like that too. It is obscure, with lyrics in English and Portuguese. Some more fun, some more imaginative, some more traditional. Their looks also add a lot to the whole thing. 
I have seen IRAE before and in the end I always have this feeling of being sorry that the show wasn't a tad longer. It is very good. Last night was just as good.
If you are interested, you may find my interview with IRAE, in the posts of 2012, August. 





And last but not least, Corpus Christii. Sadly, I haven't seen Corpus Christii live in many years, so I was waiting in antecipation as they always deliver an amazing show. You can't get disappointed with Corpus Christii, that simply just doesn't happen.
At the moment, Corpus Christii is a two member band, with more members to play live. All musicians you would have seen in other bands and projects along the years.
Corpus Christii is one of those bands I listen to frequently, although it took me a bit to get into their music when they first came out, almost or around 25 years ago, as I liked more melodic and symphonic stuff at that moment. But eventually I got into their music, and since then I appreciate their music very much, and also appreciate their evolution, being Nocturnus Horrendus one of the most resilient Black Metal musicians of our times. 
Still about the gig. There were two pig heads on stage (until one of them was knocked down by someone), as a cliché prop, but the whole atmosphere was the most important thing. It really was very atmospheric and I would risk saying emotional too. A Corpus Christii show always has a theatrical/dramatic side to it. It isn't only just about the music. Their shows are very intense and this one wasn't different on those regards.
There was space and time for old and recent songs. It just felt like the show could have been longer. I would have liked that. 
However, there was a sense of dedication and accomplishment from everyone (or I think I can speak from everyone on this), both band and public.




It was a great evening, no doubt. I am very grateful for such great performances from all the bands, and for all the effort from everyone involved, in putting up such a great show.

Thank you!

P.s. once again, I apologise for the low quality of the photos. The ones of IRAE aren't mine, but by S.W., as I lost mine somehow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment